Monday, May 10, 2010

How Much of Your Green do You Spend on Being Green?

The 'Green' movement has become very popular over the last few years. As you can imagine, quilt shops go through a huge amount of cardboard. From the boxes all of our goodies come in, to the very bolts that gorgeous fabric is wrapped on, we can amass a huge amount of it. At Quilter's Refuge we have always taken all of our cardboard to the recycling station down the road. The city, however, has decided to close this recycling station down due to the large amount of people who just throw their junk in the bins! I have to admit this is one of my pet peeves. It's just rude! But I understand the cities position. Do you continue to encourage those uncaring people to dump their junk on you by not doing anything about the problem? Or do you take away the recycling site and leave those faithful recyclers with nowhere to go? It's a hard decision!!

So it got me thinking about the Earth and quilters. What do we do to support the Green movement? As a quilt store, I've got to admit it's hard. We do recycle our paper, cardboard, ink cartridges, and the like, but the other day someone asked for organic fabric?! Does anyone else out there carry organic fabric? I can only imagine how expensive it must be...would anyone buy it?

So many questions!!
I've created a quiz and hope you'll take it and give me your opinions! Let me know what you think about going Green, and let me know if you have any ideas!

Here's a few interesting links I've found that I thought you might enjoy!
10 Easy Ways to Recycle
What is YOUR carbon footprint?
How to reuse Fabric Softener Sheets!
This BLOG is Green! It's definitely an interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment